Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Happy, Healthy Green Soup


This was my first time I have tried this recipe. I found one similar to it when I was researching foods that are good for you gut! AKA the digestive system. In an always interesting conversation with my chiropractor, he mentioned that acne can be caused by not having a healthy digestive system. I have struggled with acne on and off since college and will try anything to get rid of the evil thing. So, here's to healthy skin and a healthy gut!

Sorry for the swampy look it has, but I promise it tastes pure, light and like you are getting healthier with every slurp. Here's the healthy lineup:
My 'cchini's are a bit dimpled, but I think I used them at the right time. At least, before they caved in on themselves. The jar with the white lid is a ginger & garlic mixture, which you can find at Indian markets and the jar with the black lid is red curry paste. 


First things first, don't do as I did. I always get ahead of myself and when a recipe says to "heat the oil in a skillet" I do it immediately. This frequently results in me panicking because my oil is popping and I haven't prepared what is suppose to be in the skillet. Whew. Needless to say, cut the veggies first.





Alright, heat that baby up and add your garlic and ginger. Ahhh, the smells are amazing right now. 


This is the part that gets dicey... I added some of my own ingredients. This usually turns out not-so-great. Here's to hoping! Add that heavenly spice garam marsala and red curry paste. 

I was feeling proud of myself for being adventurous and straying from the recipe, but then the happy turned to "yikes". The picture below explains it all. 

The brown goop made me nervous that I had yet again ruined a recipe because I had a bright idea to change it. BUT this time, it turned out well! Lucky me. Brown goop isn't always bad, apparently.

Add those sliced 'cchini's and mix well. Pour enough water to submerge them.

The recipe I found to base mine off of put the zucchini mixture and the spinach in the food processor together. Ehhhh, let's chop that spinach first. 

Whew, this machine amazes me every time. 


Well, not getting out of this recipe mistake-free. I added the zucchini mix to the magically chopped spinach, pulsed it gleefully aaaaand it started to seep out! I guess that "max liquid fill" line shouldn't be ignored. What's fun cooking without a little mess??


Add the green goddess to a pot and simmer until desired stopping point. I think I simmered mine for 10 minutes? You'll need to add that lime and lots of salt. 


Voila! You have your Happy, Healthy Green Goop. I mean soup! Your gut will thank you, especially if you have been sick. Enjoy. :)




Happy, Healthy Green Soup

Ingredients
  • 1 TBS of Olive Oil (best kind is from Trader Joes)
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 inch of ginger or 1 tsp of ginger-garlic mix
  • 3 zucchinis (not dimpled or squishy)
  • 1/2 LB of spinach leaves
  • 1/2 C of cilantro, chopped
  • 4 C of water
  • 2 tsp of garam marsala
  • 1 tsp of red curry paste
  • Lime juice, black pepper and salt to taste
Directions

Chop the zucchinis in half, half again and then into bite size pieces. Heat the oil in pan and add garlic and ginger. Saute until translucent.

Add the garam marsala and red curry paste. Mix well together but don't let it sit too long on the heat. Add the zucchini and stir stir stir.

Pour 2 cups of water or the amount needed to submerge the zucchinis. Simmer until tender.

Chop spinach in the food processor a little bit at a time. Add the zucchini mix, but set a handful of zucchini aside if you want some texture to your soup. Puree until desired consistency. Add 2 cups of water or more if desired.

Pour soup into a pot, add lime juice, salt and black pepper to taste. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Serve hot and with a side of quinoa, whole wheat bread or crackers.

Yield: 4 servings
Time: 40 minutes
Scarf-ability rating: 6/10



1 comment:

  1. You gotta put the lime in the coconut.
    -Uncle Totoro 2016

    ReplyDelete